THIS POST MAY BE MORE NOTABLE for who prompts me to write it than for its content. I have been asked to pass this along to twenty Americans via email. Since this blog has a few more than twenty readers, I calculate this is a superior method. But, make no mistake about it, it does deserve traction.
And, more heartening, this comes from a dear friend of many years whose political alignment can be winkled out from her habit of unironically calling her home “The People’s Republic of [Name of Town or State].” Yes, we do have leftist friends. Funny how the world works that way. My heartening comes from the fact that this idea could have come direct from the mouths of the oh-so-hated Tea Party.
[edited from original] Even if Warren Buffet doesn’t ask us to forward, it sure sounds like a good idea. My sentiments exactly…this would stop the mess we are in!
Winds Of Change
Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. At least 20 if you can. It has to stop somewhere!In three days, most people in The United States of America will have this message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.
Congressional Reform Act of 2013
- 1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
- 2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security All funds in the congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose. [I'd prefer to see retirement "insurance" privatized, with tax exemptions if necessary, but whatever system, the idea that government officials don't live by the same rules as the people is un-American and, as Glenn Reynolds writes, probably a violation of the titles and nobility clause of the Constitution. --Ed.]
- 3. Congress [may] purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans [may].
- 4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.[I suspect a better system might be to limit the entire operational budget of Congress to a certain percentage of the GDP (and specify that three or more independent entities must agree on the figure), but some limit must obtain. --Ed.]
- 5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people. [There are those who claim that whatever Congress is setting up for themselves amounts to Obamacare. I have my doubts. But it illustrates the fundamental mendacity of all political animals. --Ed.]
- 6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
[This should go without saying. That it needs to be said illustrates the present corruption in our government. --Ed.]
- 7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. [Congresscritters like to claim that they represent the People and are going about the People's business. Again with the corruption. -Ed.]
Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Don’t you think it’s time?
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS! [All the same, good luck getting it past Congress without an Amending convention, as proposed recently by Mark Levin. --Ed.]
If you agree with the above, pass it on.