WHILE YOU’RE WAITING FOR the final part of “A Dolly XMas,” here’s what’s been up with “A Report From The Field.” Last status update was as of bedtime Friday night (1AM Saturday). At that point, I had 14,087 words on the page.
Saturday, I wrote on a pair of sexy scenes for Drummond and Dolly. Not sex scenes, but sexy. Teases. Between the two, they total 1,600 words — with part of that being on the previous count, but because of the way Scrivener tracks wordage and modification time stamps, I can’t really tell what was written when and the time all runs together for me, although the story parts are crystal clear.
Sunday, I wrote on a sex scene. An actual sex scene, with plumbing and friction, as I call it: Insert Tab A into Slot B, jiggle vigorously until the contents of Tab A spill into Slot B. Make it a life-altering event.
For reasons which I can’t spoil here, it’s necessary to the story. That is to say that, while hot and arousing of prurient interest, I don’t believe it’s gratuitous. And so what if it were?
But, as far as I know, writing a sex scene requires the writer be in a somewhat different head space than normal. I could be wrong on that, because I’ve so rarely written any. Which has had me in an off-kilter head space the last couple of days. Not that you’d notice so much being different from me usually.
Anyway, as that stands at midnight Christmas Eve, it’s 2,000 words long (needs judicious cutting) and the total word count for the story is 16,797. (Project target is 17,000-20,000 words, or the length of a novella.)
Amended to add: I have at least five more scenes to write, so we’re looking at a rough count in the 21-22,000 word range. And that’s before the editors get their hands on it.